Fsbuild-2 Flight Planner

Fsbuild 2 support forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:35 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:26 am 

Okay, here we go. But no luck so far.

On trying to stop Windows Defender I received a message reading "WindowsDefender not available"

I confirm that:

1.I deleted the bkp file
2.I launched FSBuild as Administrator
3.On the options page I set the brouse button on the first line to point at the FSX path.
4. On the Options/Settings page I checked the box under "Export to" for the PMDG 737
5.I pressed the "Save Config Options"
6.I created a a Flight Plan from LEAL (Alicante) to EGGL (Heathrow)
7.I saved it as LEALEGGL001
8.I checked the PMDG/Flight Plans Folder but no luck.

Should I have saved without the 001? ..eg LEALEGGL and not LEALEGGL001

I went through the same actions again but this time in the "Export to.." page I also ticked FS2004/FX, FSX (xml)
But still nothing reached the MPDG/Flight Plans folder

Cliff

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:56 am 

Hi, Cliff

What does your fsbuild2.cfg file look like now?

DJ

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:16 am 

Ouch................quite different!

[FSBUILD]
AUTOREFRESH_DELAY=

[MS-FLIGHTSIMULATOR]
FS_HOME=C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\MICROSOFT GAMES\MICROSOFT FLIGHT SIMULATOR X

[FLY!]

[PS1]

[X-PLANE]

[STARTUP]
PMDG737NG

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 1:32 pm 

Cliff,

This is good! This is exactly what the file should look like with only the PMDG a/c selected so we are making progress. Earlier in the thread you mentioned the path "C\ Bootcamp\Programs files (X86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X..."; is the c:\Bootcamp part correct or is it just c:\program files (x86) as it is now? I don't have a Mac so have no idea. If the path you have now is correct then run FSBuild from the right click "run as administrator", enter any two airports for departure and destination; press autogenerate; you should get a message box that says the program wrote the flightplan file or that it failed to do so. If it said it did then look in the PMDG flightplans directory for a plan named after the arrival and destination codes you entered...

DJ

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:02 pm 

We're moving closer to Nirvana................

1.I created a Flight Plan from LEAL to EGGL. When I saved it a message read as follows : "Created PMDG 737 File C;\Program files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator X\PMDG\FlightPlans\LEALEGGL.rte"

2.I checked and there it was!

3.I placed the aircraft on runway 28 at LEAL (Alicante) then in the FMC entered the Departure and Destination airports. Finally I entered LEALEGGL as the company route. No luck. I deleted it and entered LEALEGGL001 but again no such luck.

4.I went back to FS Build and created another Flight Plan from KLAX to KSFO. This time no message was received and this time no plan ended up in it's rightful home.

Two questions please.

1.Should I always launch FSBuild as Administrator?
2.Do I use "001" to name the Plan when I save it?

Now, before you ask, here's what the cfg folder currently looks like:

[FSBUILD]
AUTOREFRESH_DELAY=

[MS-FLIGHTSIMULATOR]
FS_HOME=C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\MICROSOFT GAMES\MICROSOFT FLIGHT SIMULATOR X

[FLY!]

[PS1]

[X-PLANE]

[STARTUP]
PMDG737NG

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:49 pm 

OK, FSBuild is now working as it should. The 737NGX has some quirks in the latest revisions - it will not load a flightplan that contains SIDs or STARs so it may not load a perfectly valid plan; this is by design and is actually a good thing since constraints get lost when a plan is entered via a FSBuild export. This got lots of grumpy comments on the PMDG forum, but PMDG is right to do it this way. I find that the best strategy is to create the plan via FSBuild and use the route log to enter it manually - with practice it doesn't take long and preserves all constraints. Remember that when you create a plan in FSB (using any technique) you must press the 'Build' button for it to export (unless you use autogenerate). If you don't get a message then nothing exported.

Your questions - yes, always run FSB "as administrator" (you can right click the exe file and choose 'properties' and check the box that runs it as administrator if you don't want to right click all the time). Exporting a plan from FSB will not give you an option to number it (that's usually done inside the NGX when you've created a plan via the FMC and want to save it). Saving a plan in FSB does not export it. To export, you must load the plan and 'Build' it.

DJ

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:47 pm 

Hah! Now we're cookin'!

I completely understand the PMDG attitude to SID's and Stars but it would be a pity to exclude being able to use a Company Route in their aircraft.

Is there a way to exclude SID and Star entries in FSBuild? If not how do I identify the relevant waypoints and then delete them. Would that do the trick?

If I can do that then company Routes would be a doddle. And let me expand on that thought. I understand that there are many company Routes available on the Internet. Surely they include SID and Star entries? And if so I pose the same question of identifying and deleting those waypoints.

Incidentally I've upped the ante for our dinner together. We'll start with a Strawberry Gazpatcho (which, admittedly I've only read the recipe and never tried) and make the main course a fish paella made with thick, delectable fish stock. And we'll end with ice cream smothered in hot chocolate sauce.

You deserve it

With my regards..................Cliff

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 8:04 pm 

Dinner sounds wonderful! :D

Normally, you can identify the SID/STAR by its name or name transition combo... at LAX you might approach using the HEC.DOWNE4 transition and STAR and depart via the LAX6.TRM departure. A route from LAX to SAN might look like KLAX LAXX6.TRM TNP.BARET4 KSAN in FSBuild and the SID and STAR are easy to identify - to remove them you just edit the route string to remove the SID and STAR and press 'BUILD' and get (in this very brief case) KLAX KSAN. Obviously, any significant route will contain waypoints between the SID and STAR but the principle is the same. FSBuild does include an option in the 'Build Options' menu item to exclude SIDs/STARs. Other planners might use a different notation and you might need to look at terminal charts to figure out what's what.

DJ

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:28 am 

You're a Prince. DJ. The degree of help you have offered me is way above the "call of duty" and I thank you.

Now to set off on a journey spending pleasurable hours putting into practice all I've learned from you.

However If I need help may call on you again?

In the mean time if you should ever consider taking a break Spain don't hesitate to contact me for advice and hopefully we can meet.

Which brings me to my final (for now) question. Can you contact me privately without disclosing our addresses here? I'm under the impression that the avsim Forum facilitates private contact via email but, if so, I don't know how it works.

Have a great day!

Warmly..........Cliff

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:00 am 

I'm almost always available on this forum - I usually check it for traffic several times a day.

Getting in touch is easy; just use the 'PM' button in any message or click on the 'Members' list at the top of the forum, find me there and use the PM button for that entry. AVSIM, Flightsim.com, and Flight1 have the same function and I am 'ubersu' in those forums...

DJ