[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Fsbuild-2 Flight Planner • View topic - REQUEST - FS Global Real Weather / Winds Aloft Source Data

Fsbuild-2 Flight Planner

Fsbuild 2 support forum
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:39 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:18 pm 
Ernie,
Any chance you could give us a little FSBuild2 update that would allow us to parse the winds-aloft from a relatively new (and becoming popular) FS weather engine, FS Global Real Weather (FSGRW)?

They already have a export function/text file with proper documentation (pdf) of each the fields, which can be found online on there website, here:

Please, please, please, LOL.... :mrgreen: :?:

Thanks for seriously considering it,

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:58 pm 

Ok, it looks like it might be doable.

Two questions.

1) What folder/path are these files located in ?

1) Is there a file that contains the lat/lon of the weather stations ?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:58 pm 
EXCELLENT!!!! THANKS Ernie!!!! :D

The file location just needs to be selectable like in the case of ActiveSky. But by default, the file location is:
C:\FSGlobalWeather\data\exchange\common\current_weather.txt

I personally have FSGRW on a client machine so in my 'network' setup, the path is:
\\ClientMachine\C\FSGlobalWeather\data\exchange\common\current_weather.txt

To my knowledge, this is the only file produced. Bernd Podhradsky , the lead developer for FSGRW, would be your best POC with regard to the details or remaining developer issues.

The FSGRW support-forum thread that started this request can be found here:
http://fsgrw.freeforums.org/export-to-fsbuild-t56.html

I imagine you could also e-mail him - fsgrw@fly2pilots.com

Thanks again! 8)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:11 pm 
Hey Ernie,
Just wondering if there's any status or news on this request? Any luck getting the export-data out of FSGRW? FWIW, the FSGRW devs have indicated the next update (012, due out in the coming week, or so) will have the export-data updated as soon as weather is pulled-down from their servers - it currently did not update export-data until a connection to FSX was actually established.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:33 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:09 am 

Ernie thanks for the consideration with this.

However

over in the pilots form Bernd is saying he hasn't had any contact with the FSBuild person (I guess he means you)

Here you say you are waiting for weather station lats/long.

I made a suggestion in the fsgrw forum which I would also like to make here.

Can I ask that you and Bernd correspond directly please? That cuts out the middle man and you are the two guys who what you need. I reckon that would speed the process to resolution.

Thanks in advance

Robert

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:19 pm 

Hi Ernie,

can I help you establishing contact with the team of FSGRW? I have stopped using ActiveSky v6.5, because the winds aloft data is not being updated anymore. As I already own and use FSGRW, I am not really in favour of purchasing ASE or AS2012 just for the winds aloft data in FsBuild. There are quite a few users of FsBuild and FSGRW who would love to see this feature come alive!

Actually, the file that was provided on the first post in this thread does contain the descriptions. FSGRW does deliver the weather data as METARs and as LatLon-stations, so everything's there.There's also a combined file that contains both the METARs and the LatLon-stations, thus giving you the coordinates for the METAR-stations.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:56 pm 

Hi, Andrew

This is a nearly two year old thread... It would have more impact if you opened a new one. However, I'm curious as to why you might think ASV6 no longer updates winds aloft. I've just tested it and it certainly does for me.

DJ

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:05 pm 

Hi DJ,

well, I wanted to stay on topic ;)

Regarding ASv6: yes, I can download winds aloft, but they are always the same, as if the data was frozen on some date. Since a few weeks they were always way off and then I noticed that they stayed the same. Have you had a different experience?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:20 pm 

Hi, Andreas

No big deal :) . I see the winds change every time I build a new plan and any of the metars involved have updated... there were some problems a while back when the metar formats had changed a little and ASV was having parsing issues, but that appears to have been rectified and the server is being updated just like the servers for the other AS products.

DJ

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:33 pm 

That is interesting, I shall try again. The METARs were always correct for me, but the winds aloft were completely off, really completely.

PS: I just tried AS6.5 (last build) and I still get the same winds aloft again and again. Check out the winds aloft at "EDDF" and compare them with the real world and try again 24 hours later, they will be identical.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:56 pm 

Hi, Andreas

I haven't tried EDDF yet, but have to wonder if winds aloft are being reported there, based on your description. I have entered the same flight plan multiple times over the past couple of days and get different winds on each build...

DJ

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:35 pm 

Hi DJ,

that is interesting. I used two different flightplans ( and ) and as a common point I used EDDF/Frankfurt. The winds were the same all the time and they were completely off reality. FSGRW gave me correct results, always.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:17 pm 

Hi, Andreas

I downloaded those routes and will check them on my setup over the next few days... oddly enough, when I request a report for EDDF I get the report for OSLK (Latakia, Syria) so there may be some issues. :roll:

DJ

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:02 pm 

LOL for me EDDF itself works fine, just the winds aloft are.....crap :D