[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Fsbuild-2 Flight Planner • View topic - Trouble slowing down

Fsbuild-2 Flight Planner

Fsbuild 2 support forum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:32 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Trouble slowing down
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:49 am 

I recently purchased ISG Gauges and have been mosty pleased so far. One problem though. After using the MCU to fly a flight plan using the Posky 737-700 in FSX using the tutorial on the website as my guide, I clicked the LNAV button off and tried to slow the plane down. It wouldn't slow down. I used the air brakes...no good. I had flown this plane many times before I purchased ISG Gauges and it was always a little difficult to slow down, but nothing like it has been since using ISG. Am I missing something in the manuals. Is this a bug with Posky airplanes and ISG? I have not flown any other airplanes with my ISG Gauges except the Posky.

Post subject: Re: Trouble slowing down
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:09 am 

It sounds as if your descent rate (fpm) is to high. If I remember correctly the FPA in the default profiles is 4.5. I found this too steep for VNAV descents for the jets I use. I reduced this in the aircraft-specific cfg profiles. I found that around 3.7 works for me for VNAV descents. I think this effectively moves the calculated TOD further away from the destination apt. I mostly fly a Citation X at the moment, and 3.7 gives about -2200fpm at TOD (FL430 or 450) which gradually reduces as the TAS declines. IAS sits at about 10kts above the descent speed set on the Descent page of the SMITHS FMS.

The problem with reducing the FPA is that VNAV climbs become very slow. To deal with this, I usually use MCP to control the climb up to around FL200, then switch to VNAV at that altitude. I use the min vnav ias settings to allow VNAV to reduce the rate of climb to maintain minimum IAS at higher altitudes, avoiding a stall condition.

There's a bit of trial and error involved, but when you find the right settings for your aircraft, it works very well.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:29 pm 

You can diosable the VNAV speed setting if you wish, and just use it as an advisory.

Use the the isg.cfg (Or AircraftId.cfg) file setting of VnavSetSpd=0.

Regards.
Ernie.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:55 pm 

Thanks, Ernie, for responding.

A couple of quick questions.

I found the isg.cfg file in two locations:

Microsoft Flight Simulator X/ISG/

and

Microsoft Flight Simulator X/ISG/Aircraft

Which one do I edit or do I edit both?

The contents of each file is:

LoadFuelonFlightPlanLoad=1 // Load Fuel automatically when Flight Plan is loaded into FMC or MCU
SetDestLoadTowerViewDist=20 // The distance from the destination airport when the tower view is changed to the destination (FS9 only)
SetMCUToPageOnFPlanLoad=1 // Set the active page on the MCU to the 'TO:' page when a flight plan is loaded.
DispAppPtrnAlts=1 // Display Approach and traffic pattern alts
ShowTodBodIndicators=1 // Show TOD/BOD indicators
DispPrevWpt=1 // Display Previous flight plan waypoint (MFD,EHSI).
ParkingFile=isg_parking.txt // Parking positions file
WptProcChgDist=2.3 // Waypoint change distance for procedures (Sid,Star, etc)

VnavSetSpd=0 or VnavSetSpd=1 was not in these files. Do I add " VnavSetSpd=0"?

Also, I could not find "AircraftId.cfg" in the ISG folder. Where would that be found?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:02 pm 

hutchss,

I did not use the VNAV on these flights, only LNAV. I was controlling speed myself, or at least I thought I was.

Again, I'm a newbie with ISG, so I might be missing something. I'm reading through the manuals so maybe I've missed something. When i was landing last night I was leveled out at 2800 feet, MCU LNAV was off, speed breaks on, and it would not slow down.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:42 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:01 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:17 pm 

Rats! This doesn't solve my problem. Apparently, though, according to your word, Ernie, it's not because of ISG1

I have been flight simming for over two years. I can recognize the differences in performance between flights using the same plane. True, the Posky 737-700 is known for its inability to slow down quickly. I've experienced that in my pre-ISG1 use of it. It's inability to slow down is documented in many simming forums. BUT, regardless of your disclaimer, The Posky 737-700 inability to slowdown quickly is greatly, and I mean, greatly, exacerbated when flying with ISG1. I am not saying this in a pejorative sense, but simply as an observation of an obvious difference in performance between flying the Posky using ISG1 and not using it.

Again, on a recent flight between LPMA and GCTS, flying the Posky, at level flight (2800 feet), with LNAV disengaged, never engaging VNAV on the flight at all, it simply would not slow down. I turned off autothrottle, I was not using the autopilot to control speed. My saitek throttle quadrant was in the idle position. My speed brakes were fully deployed, and I had to put the landing gear down at about 220-230kts and deploy almost full flaps at inappropriate speeds, which in the rw would have damaged them, just to get the plane to slow down to 160 kts!

I have never had that happen to me before. In the previous flight in which I used ISG1 (LEMG-LPMA), it was very similar.

BTW, Ernie, thanks for taking the time for explaining the differences between isg.cfg files. I hope you don't sense any animosity toward you or your product. There is none. I really am enjoying the product and it has greatly enhanced my flying with it. I'm just making an observation based upon my experience with the Posky 737-700 and ISG1 which, if I don't find a solution to, will preclude its use with the Posky, which I use a lot with several VA's I fly for.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:18 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:39 pm 

Again, as I have stated twice, I was at level flight @ 2800 feet. I was not descending.

I did not take the time to open the throttle quadrant in the sim, however, I have never had any problems with the saitek throttle quadrant. I did hit the "F1" key to throttle down quickly...no effect. I was landing into the wind, so I didn't have a tailwind.

Who knows?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:53 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:26 pm 

Logical sense? Hmmmm.

I'll just keep trying to use ISG1 and the Posky model and see what happens.

Thanks for trying to help.