[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Fsbuild-2 Flight Planner • View topic - LNAV and VNAV don't work via Smiths FMS

Fsbuild-2 Flight Planner

Fsbuild 2 support forum
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:50 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:23 am 

Hi there

I just bought the ISG1 panels, mainly because of the Smiths FMS gauge. All seems very functional and the graphic interface is very realistic.

However, I must admit that I was rather shocked by the lack of overview and basic manuals. I soon realized that the one and only guide to the FMS is a short little video on Youtube! - Simply not good enough!
It's not that I'm not use to operate a FMS - I have tried several FMS addons, but each and everyone one has it's own funny way of dealing with the level of realism. With some, one is able to load lots of data, others are more restricted, and so on. Therefore a profound manual with written tutorials is absolutely essential for each individual FMS design. Your product is the only one that I know of witch don't offer this basic customer service.
But at least you have this forum, so I here are my issues so far:

In order to try out the Smith FMS I downloaded the 737-800 cfg's from your homepage and installed them into the default FSX 737-800. I then followed the Youtube tutorial guide and started flying - then several problems occurred:

1. On the TAKEOFF page there is no Trim, V1, VR or V2 suggested settings at all - why is that?

2. When engaging the autopilot and LNAV at 1200 agl. I found that the plane don't automatically follow the waypoints - is there something on the MCP that extraordinary has to be engaged here with your particular configuration?

3. When engaging the autopilot and VNAV at 1200 agl. I found that the plane don't automatically follow ANYTHING - is there something on the MCP that extraordinary has to be engaged here with your particular configuration?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:48 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:58 am 

Hi Ernie

From your answer I realize that I unfortunately just have thrown money right into the drain by buying this product. Also I have wasted many hours trying to figure out why the LNAV and VNAV didn't work as it is supposed to. Who could possible know, besides yourself, that one extraordinary has to press HOLD on the MCP in order to make the navigation system work?!
I can't see this odd exception described anywhere in your manuals.

The manuals witch I of course have been aware of all the time. But for that matter, when my plan is to use the Smith FMS I obviously don't expect to find answers and relevant tutorials in the different Honeywell's FMS manual unless you specifically would have referred to this somewhere in your documentation! However, because the two FMS types are based on some common principles, the handling procedures are totally different, therefor this would be pointless anyway.

As it is, the documentation of Honeywell's FMS is a user manual with procedures in its true sense, whereas the documentation of the Smiths FMS is a list of functions with a short description - not a user manual!
The link to the short Smith FMS "tutorial" video made by some generous person is all well meant I guess, but in reality ridiculously insufficient! No good, Ernie!

Anyway, I guess I learned the hard way, that this product - with or without manuals - simply don't meet the serious standards of what you obviously would expect from someone who specifically deals with a short range of flight instruments. Quite a disappointment and completely a waste of money and effort.

Morten

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:17 pm 

Morten,

If you want to rant, criticize and complain , go ahead, get it off your chest, you'll be ignored.

If you want more answers to questions, or further support regarding the product you purchased we're here to help.

Regards.
Ernie.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:02 pm 

...some pretty bad days for both business and development, I guess!

Well, here's a question then:
What is the procedure for a refund here, for something that I obviously can't use?

Morten

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:51 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:08 pm 

Who could possible know, besides yourself, that one extraordinary has to press HOLD on the MCP in order to make the navigation system work?!

[/quote]
I did! I have owned the ISG gauges for many years and find them to be amongst the best investment in sim addons out there. I also own many payware addon aircraft so I have some knowledge in this field. As Ernie has stated. You simply cannot design an FMC system to work with "every" model out there. They are an extremely good add on to freeware and some payware, lacking FMC models. Thought I would let my feelings known. Some simple common sense would go very far. I can be a critique also! Sir as far as customer service. there is none better than Ernie's. I have purchased other products because his name is on them and his reputation proceeds him!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:54 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:32 am 

Let me make myself clear here!

First of all, I reckon Ernie as a nice and gentle person with intention to assist in any way possible.
My main complaint was the lack of a profound FMS manual, since the fact is, that there are exceptional procedures here which are not to be found under normal conditions.

I've just gone through some pretty frustrating months with a malfunctioning stock FMS in my favored and bellowed Wilco Feelthere B777 (bad transformation work from FS2004 to FSX) and several unlucky attempts to replace it. First I tried a FMS addon from NPSimPanels and then one from JSG's Universal FMC for FSX - both turned out to be crab. Ironically however, both had indeed very profound manuals - especially regarding to all those important exceptions which are not to be found on a real FMS. So no surprises here - Things just didn't work as it was supposed to, and in practice there was no support at all! So actually quite the opposite of my personal experience from here :lol:

All in all a lot of waisted time and money. So finally I just thrown in the towel and since there's is no serious alternative FSX 777 for the time being, I just bought myself a CS 767-300 with an integrated FMS - which as far as I have used it works fine and as expected!

So I guess this means a "Roger over and out" from me, for now.

Happy flying!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:25 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:47 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:48 am 

Ernie, why not stop this quibbling! Do you really intend to go on with this forever?

Why make so much fuss about it? - Why don't you just quietly meet this criticism from a customer as a positive opportunity to evaluate and perhaps make the necessary changes where you might agree and then throw the rest away.

Anyway, I should think that my last answer was quite obliging to you! So I really can't see the point of carrying on by implying that I'm lying to you and so on. It doesn't make sense if you don't take into account what I actually wrote - instead you spreed these incoherent quotes all over the place! I won't stand for it!

No further comments from me on this subject.
Bye, bye for now

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:01 am 

Mod - time to lock this thread?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:16 pm 

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]