[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Fsbuild-2 Flight Planner • View topic - SID/STAR Editing guide

Fsbuild-2 Flight Planner

Fsbuild 2 support forum
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:36 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: SID/STAR Editing guide
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:09 am 

Hi on the tutorial link there was a guide to editing the sids stars cfg file, but the link is old and no longer functioning, does anyone have a new link? I want to fix and create some new sids, and want to know how to create the points along a sid.

Regards

James

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:38 pm 

James,

Until you get an updated tutorial ...

First, back up your current files now in case they are needed later.

Just post what you want edited (help with) here if you cannot figure out what to add/delete/edit by looking at the current SID/STAR.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:37 pm 

Hi

Thanks for you offer of help, bascically there appears to be many errors with the EGBB sids/stars. I have guessed at some of the tweaks to make them work, it appears with some that 303 should be 302 or 303t should be 303W typre thing so just looks like typos have gone on or something, but some I just cant work out where to change them to something that doesnt give a point 500 miles away!

I dont have the sids/stars file with me at the moment, but I think the GROVE1C arrival is corrupt.

What I would like to be able to do is to know how the points in the SID/STAR files correlate to what are on charts and where the points are referenced from as it were. some seem to make sense as they kind of inferr a radial distance from a VOR but others dont seem to appear as obvious as to what they are.

Regards

James

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:15 pm 

James,

Thanks for you offer of help,
** Ok, no problem

bascially there appears to be many errors with the EGBB sids/stars.
** Ok, normally you could just do a "problem" post in this forum ..
Subject = EGBB sids/star error,
and give details as other pilots would have the same problem that needs fixing with the next Airac cycle from FSBuild.

I have guessed at some of the tweaks to make them work, it appears with some that 303 should be 302 or 303t should be 303W typre thing so just looks like typos have gone on or something, but some I just cant work out where to change them to something that doesnt give a point 500 miles away!
** Ok, again, this should be a problem report on this forum.
I do understand that you also want to know how to also fix it yourself.

I dont have the sids/stars file with me at the moment, but I think the GROVE1C arrival is corrupt.
** When you get the information verified ... post the information on it here.

What I would like to be able to do is to know how the points in the SID/STAR files correlate to what are on charts and where the points are referenced from as it were. some seem to make sense as they kind of inferr a radial distance from a VOR but others dont seem to appear as obvious as to what they are.
** For this you need a current chart and the narrative that goes with the SID or STAR.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:43 pm 

Hi,
Sorry to butt in, but whilst on the subject of SIDs and STARs there is a reference to Fsb_sids.txt and Fsb_stars.txt in the "Data Files 2" user guide and to see the SID/STAR's tutorial for details on these files. Although I have SIDs and STARs showing in the respective fields in FSBuild I do not have Fsb_sids.txt and Fsb_stars.txt in the FSBuild folder. I have searched the hard drive for them and not found them. I also cannot locate the SID/STAR's tutorial referred to. This has me puzzled and wondered if someone could shine some light on this for me.

Regards,
Tony

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:00 pm 

Tony,

Go to the FSBuild folder on your computer.
Display the files in view,LIST mode.
Do a screenshot of the folder contents and post it here.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:19 pm 

Hi Vaughan,

Here is a JPG of the FSBuild folder and contents. I have upgraded to the latest version of FSBuild using Fsbuild2376_2Upd.exe and confirmed the version so the upgrade was okay. I know sometimes I can miss things staring me in the face, but I have checked and checked for the files and searching the hard drive didn't find them. :?

Regards,
Tony

Attachments:
FSBuild Folder and files.JPG
FSBuild Folder and files.JPG [ 103.8 KiB | Viewed 13393 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:32 pm 

Tony,

You are missing or not displaying many files.

It may be a permissions problem with your version of windows.

I would uninstall fsbuild.

Then create a new folder ... C:\FSbuild

Then install FSBuild there.

Is this a new problem on a new PC or what?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:12 am 

Vaughan,

Thanks for the suggestions. Now I know there are files missing I think the security may be the issue and will try your suggestions out.

The answer is yes, I have reinstalled. After many, many years of stability my Windows XP stopped working properly. I couldn't find a solution and had to reinstall the OS. From this month Microsoft is pulling the plug on XP, and knowing the horrendous task of reinstalling decades of data, I thought perhaps I should change to Windows7 now instead of later. Especially since the only way to upgrade from XP to 7 is a complete fresh install again. And we are informed by Microsoft that Windows7 is the most stable, backwards compatible OS since Windows XP and we won't suffer the issues which killed Windows Vista. Which I have found is rubbish. Having bought the Professional version with the Virtual Windows XP mode to make sure of compatibility, I found vXP is only suitable for self-contained applications and very flacky when it comes to interacting with printers and other hardware. It is not the answer to compatibility problems. I find the security in Windows7 is a major issue. It is great for business use where you only write documents and spreadsheets, but even with administrator rights it causes lots of problems running other software. And despite Microsoft's confidence, I have had many program crashes and the blue screen since I installed Windows7 three weeks ago. And the software I have installed so far is just the tip of the iceberg. Reducing the security only reduces the number of times Windows shouts at you and doesn't get over the secuirty blocking issues.

Thanks again for your help,
Tony

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:52 am 

Vaughan,

An update. I uninstalled FSBuild and reinstalled with the 2.2 and 2.3 updates using the default Program Files folder (as a start before using your suggestion of using the Root). Everything worked fine and the SID and STAR files were in the folder. I then installed the latest update and weird things happened. The latest update doesn't point me to the FSBuild folder like the other updates. I have to browse to the FSBuild folder. After running the update the FSBuild2.exe file had disappeared and I couldn't find it on the hard drive (I didn't check if all the other files were intact). So I did a complete reinstall again, but when it came to running the latest update I installed it to a temp folder. I then copied the FSBuild2.exe file created to the original FSBuild folder (overwriting the existing executable). I installed the latest Navdata update and everything seems to be working fine.

I'm convinced that the problem experienced was caused by the Windows7 security. I have had a problem with Simplates which worked okay until I tried to view a plate. Adobe Acrobat said it couldn't find the file. I checked the Simplates folder for the temporary PDF created and found it wasn't there. There is obviously an issue with security rights when creating files from within some applications which is preventing files from being created. I tried running Simplates as an administrator (my account already had admin rights) and I reinstalled running the setup.exe as an administrator and neither worked. I then ran Simplates with XP compatibilty and it worked fine. I therefore assume XP compatibility negates the Windows7 security. If anyone is thinking of upgrading to Windows7 from Windows XP just for the pretty looks I would think twice. It has been so much hard work over the past weeks to get Windows7 to be productive.

Thanks again for your help,
Tony

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:39 pm 

I have searched my old HD's this weekend and found the orifinal Sid/Star editing tutorial files that
were on the old compuserve Fsbuild page.

I have uploaded them to the tutorial section, the links have been updated accordingly as well.

Regards.
Ernie.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:55 am 

Thank you for that Ernie. Much appreciated.

Regards,
Tony